Flooble recommended.
My profile
Alphonsus Tan

Born in 1987, died in the 21st century

Archives

Credits
Image: Getty Images
Layout by: Peachiberri
Sunday, December 03, 2006
10:43 PM
An Unexpected Inspiration...

I attended my JC MEP teacher's wedding yesterday. It was my first time attending a wedding in a christian church. There is something in this wedding which struck me. No, not the couple or the ceremony, but the hymn that they sing during the service.

This hymn is rather popular, maybe among the catholics, and probably the Franciscans, but I never felt it's true meaning until today. If you had guessed it, it
s Prayer of St. Francis.

If you don't know the lyrics, here it goes: (or at least the verse which struck me the most):

1. Make me a channel of your peace
When there is hatred, let me bring your love,
When there is injury, your pardon, Lord,
When there is doubt, true faith in you...

2. Make me a channel of your peace
when there is despair let me bring hope
when there is darkness, only light
and where there is sadness, ever joy...

O master grant that I may never seek,
so much to be consoled as to console,
to be understood than to understand,
to be loved as to love with all my soul.

3. Make me a channel of your peace,
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
in giving of ourselves that we receive,
in dying that we are born to eternal life.

I strongly urge all of you to reflect on the words.

I never understand why this hymn touched me yesterday until today. It's coincidental that this week marks the first week of advent. We are urged to prepare for Christ coming. This hymn came back to my mind again when I did my advent reflection on how do I prepare for the Lord's coming. It's rather obvious that God wants me to be his instrument, to bring peace, joy, love and hope to people around me. This prayer is also what my teacher's and her spouse's commitment to God for their marriage and it is also through this hymn which sparks their love for one another while singing this hymn in ACJC choir. :)

Here are some things which I will try to commit for this advent:

1) Be at peace with myself first. Complain less, especially with those unfair treatment by the army. Go for confession.

2) Make peace with people around me, even with people I dislike or whom I have my reservations. Be tactful when making some comments (as Audrey always complain that I am tactless. ;))

3) Give or help generously without expecting anything in return.

4) Forgive those who hurt me...

5) Bring joy to those in despair by cheering them up if possible. I am not a good counseller, but I am always there to listen and help if within my abilities.

6) Bring hope to those pessimistic people even if it's a false hope, well at least I TRIED MY BEST.

7) To deepen my Catholic faith.

I just pray that I will be able to abide by my advent resolutions. It's hard to keep your resolution. Please pray for me.



You who dwell in the shelter of the Lord
who abide in his shadow for life
Say to the Lord, "My refuge,
my rock in whom I trust!"

And He will raise you up
On Eagle's wings
bear you on the breath of dawn,
make you to shine like the sun
and hold you in the palm of his hand

The snare of the fowler will never capture you
and famine will bring you no fear
Under his wings your refuge,
His faithfulness your shield

And He will raise you up
On Eagle's wings
bear you on the breath of dawn,
make you to shine like the sun
and hold you in the palm of his hand

You need not fear the terror of the night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
though thousands fall about you,
Near you it shall not come.
And He will raise you up
On Eagle's wings
bear you on the breath of dawn,
make you to shine like the sun
and hold you in the palm of his hand

For to his angels he's given a command
to guard you in all of your ways;
up on their hands they will bear you up,
lest you dash your foot against a stone
And He will raise you up
On Eagle's wings
bear you on the breath of dawn,
make you to shine like the sun
and hold you in the palm of his hand

Eagle's Wings