Time passes really fast. I don't really like the idea of returning to camp. Oh well, got posted to 35 SCE (singapore combat engineers) to work as a Bridging Engineer at Seletar Camp.
My leave has been quite a busy one. Many things have happened in the last two weeks in the church's music ministry. The sudden resignation of the committee members, Sherine and Gilbert have cause lots of surprise and uncertainty. Many things are left undone, the hymns for the next season, the scores, and I felt like a lost sheep without a shepherd.
Of course, it is also comforting to see so many people willing to step up to help the music ministry in this time of anarchy. Frankie volunteered to do the selection of hymns and also the printing of the scores with the kind assistance of Bobot, Audrey and myself. New cantors and conductors are being trained (at least for our choir).
It dawned to me that maybe this is God's way of changing the situation in our church? We were talking about changing the 'old' hymns, hymns that ever existed since Fr. Tay's time and introduce 'new' ones? I have a recent determination to change the mass proper, such as the Gloria (mass of st. David) which we have sung for years. Time to introduce different versions of Gloria such as Mass of Creation, Mass of Light etc. Neither did I know that it is also our current parish priest's plan to change the hymns too. :) For a start, 'new' hymns (hymns that are never sung in our church before) are being introduced by Frankie such as Gifts of Finest Wheat, Give Thanks to the Lord (Dan Schutte). Let this be a time of transition in the music ministry, a change in political power, a change in the structure, a change in style if it's God's will.
Come to think of it. I recalled how I irritate Florence to assign me with some things to do for YISS. But for some reason or another, she didnt reply me till Daniel (9.30am mass organist) asked me to cover for him for 9.30am mass. ( I guess maybe I have things to do at Holy Trinity) For the first time, I experienced what it is like to play for 3 masses, 6.45am, 9.30am and 11am. Phew, it is really tiring, especially playing the same hymns over and over again. I guess Sherine has did a great job covering for the same 3 masses before I joined the ministry. Imagine her playing for 3 consecutive masses weeks after weeks, it's through God's grace that she could survive till now.
I really wish that Sherine and Gilbert would put any obstacles that prevent them from serving the church and help out in one way or another. Sighz... oh well. God will send a new shepherd to lead the flock soon. :)